E-BOOK - BASICS OF AIR CONDITIONING (ISH001BOAC)
- Refrigeration is a process of producing cold or a process of taking away heat.
- Whenever the temperature is to be lowered below the surrounding temperature, it has to be done through a process of cooling.
- Heat always flows from a higher temperature region to a lower temperature region. If we have to lower the temperature below the surrounding temperature, it requires external energy, as we would then be working against the laws of nature.
- To understand this better, we can take the example of water. As we know, water flows from a higher level to a lower level, irrespective of the quantity involved. And if we want to raise water to a higher level, we require pumps which in turn require external energy.
- Exactly similar is the case with heat energy. We therefore, require external energy when using a refrigeration system with a compressor to pump out the heat from the place, where we do not want it to a place where it is not objectionable to discard this heat.
- Air conditioning is a form of refrigeration. When we use air as a medium for cooling, we call it air conditioning.